Exclusive: Liam Harrison Is Coming For The ONE Championship Title
As you may have seen last month, we have partnered up with Chok! Magazine. Their next edition comes out later this month and will feature a news section from APMMA. To give our readers a taste of what to expect from Chok!, we’re sharing their cover story from their last edition, a great interview with British Muay Thai star, Liam Harrison.
- Hi Liam, hope all’s well…
Yes everything is going great thank you, I can’t complain. Life is good at the minute.
- It’s been a very exciting year for you already, just signed up to ONE Championship. Congratulations, tell us a little about it.
I’ve had a crazy year I signed with ONE Championship last year, I had my first fight in December against multi-stadium champion Petchmorakot, 4kg above my usual weight. Unfortunately I lost that fight but I fought again 6 weeks after on Yokkao Italy and won on points. I injured myself in that fight and needed an operation on my knee which I’ve now recovered from and my next fight is back with ONE Championship on the 15th June in Shanghai.
- You have already won many of the most important titles over the years, fought on big promotions, gunning for the ONE title now too?
Yes, the ONE Championship title is on my radar. I’ve won most big titles and this is the one that’s missing, so it would be great to add this title to the rest.
- Liam, what does a regular “gym” day look like for you?
In the UK, my training is twice a day with Richard Smith and Andy Howson as my main padmen, and sparring and clinching with the other Bad Company fighters, plus twice a week SnC (strength and conditioning). In Thailand I train at the Yokkao gym with all the great champions and trainers.
- Over all the years, all the fights, who was your toughest opponent and why?
Probably Singdam Kiatmoo9. It was a real war and I was close to stopping him more than once but he was so strong and just kept coming and he won on points in a real close fight. I’m now lucky enough to train with him at Yokkao gym.
- And anybody left you still would like to fight or have you fought them all?
Any of the top names on the ONE Championship roster so I can get in contention for a title shot.
- Liam, in your opinion, what makes a Champion?
Hard work, discipline, desire and the obsession to win.
And to close, as always please answer our “5 Rounds” questions:
– Favourite fighter? Saenchai|Seksan|Superbank – all different styles. ??
– Favourite food? Thai.
– Favourite band/music? Michael Jackson.
– When I am old I want to: Be happy and content with the life I’ve led.
– Happiness is: Quality time with family and my girlfriend and my German Shepherd and cat.
Thanks for your time mate, all the best with your fightcamp in Thailand, good luck for your upcoming ONE Championship fight and chok dee to you and your family!
The latest edition of Chok! Magazine comes out later this month.
And in case you missed Chok!’s exclusive interview with ONE Championship CEO Chatri Sityodtong, that we shared last month, you can read it here.