Jon Jones In Trouble With The Law Again – UPDATED
It seems like Jon Jones can’t stay out of trouble with the law. The UFC light heavyweight champion has been hit with a battery charge for an alleged incident that happened at a strip club.
Local New Mexico news station KRQE News 13, has reported that the alleged incident happened at TD’s Eubank Showclub in April. According to the Albuquerque Police, a cocktail waitress called them to her home and informed them Jones had slapped her inappropriately, pulled her down onto his lap and kissed her neck. She added that he also placed her in a chokehold and picked her up off the ground.
As a result, Jones was charged with battery. Court records show Jones failed to show up to a bond arraignment for the battery charge last month and as a result, a bench warrant was issued.
A spokesperson at Jackson Wink, where Jones trains, disputes the allegations against Jones and stated that Jones didn’t know anything about the warrant until KRQE News 13 made him aware. Once he was made aware of the charges on Sunday, Jones went to Metro Court to pay the $300 cash bond.
Jones’ spokesperson James Hallinan, provided this statement to KRQE News 13:
“Today, the media told Mr. Jones about a false accusation launched against him and that paperwork had been sent to an incorrect address. However, after receiving the documents from the press, Mr. Jones immediately went to pay the small fee, and he, and multiple witnesses, stand ready to factually refute the malicious lies being told about him to the public.”
As Jones paid his cash bond on Sunday, his warrant has been lifted.
Jones is just coming off of another title defence. The 32 year old defeated Thiago Santos at UFC 239, via unanimous decision to remain the UFC 205lbs champion. During fight week, Jones had told KRQE News 13 that he was trying to be a better role model.
Moments ago, Jones took to Twitter to respond to the news: