Khabib Turns Down NAC’s Offer To Reduce Suspension
Khabib Nurmagomedov received his punishment from the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) last week, for his part in the brawl that followed his win over Conor McGregor at UFC 229. Khabib received a $500,000 fine and a nine month suspension. With the suspension being reduced if he participated in a local anti-bullying campaign.
The NAC stated that the UFC lightweight champion’s suspension would be reduced from nine months to six, if he enrolled in a public service announcement (PSA) for anti-bullying.
A six month suspension would allow Khabib to fight as early as April. The same time that McGregor will be illegible to return to the Octagon.
“[The NAC] said to take part in a social campaign… the state of Nevada is a place where they allow drugs, prostitution and gambling.
“Let them work on themselves [and their own behavior]. There were fighters who didn’t fight for two years and didn’t have their belts taken for a year and a half. I’m ready to fight, they were the ones who banned me.”
Following the NAC hearing last Tuesday, Khabib’s manager Ali Abdelaziz, said that his man wasn’t happy with the conclusion of the hearing. Stating that he never wanted to fight in Las Vegas again and would not fight, whilst his cousin, Abubakar Nurmagomedov and teammate Zubaira Tukhugov were suspended for one year. Adding that the next time we’ll see Khabib in the cage, would be in November at Madison Square Garden, New York.
With Khabib sitting on the sidelines for the majority of 2019, there’s speculation that the UFC will create a new interim lightweight title.
“I think that they will create an interim title. It could be between [Dustin] Poirier and [Tony] Ferguson. Whoever wins will become the interim champion, and then at the end of the year we will fight for the real belt.
“I think that could happen. [But] at the moment I don’t know for sure.”
How do you think the UFC lightweight division will play out in 2019?