UFC Fight News: Including Two Title Fights Added To UFC 255
There will be two flyweight titles on the line at UFC 255, which is set to go down on November 21st. Dana White has told ESPN that the new flyweight champion Deiveson Figueiredo will defend his title against Cody Garbrandt, and Jennifer Maia will challenge Valentina Shevchenko.
Deiveson Figueiredo vs Cody Garbrandt
Figueiredo won the vacant 125lbs title last month by scoring a first round finish over Joseph Benavidez in the UFC Fight Island 2 main event. Garbrandt is coming off a spectacular knockout over Raphael Assuncao at UFC 250. The former bantamweight champion will be making his flyweight debut against the new champ.
On hearing the fight announcement, former UFC flyweight and bantamweight champion Henry Cejudo took to social media to mock both fighters.
Valentina Shevchenko vs Jennifer Maia
Shevchenko is on a five fight win streak and is coming off a successful title defence against Katlyn Chookagian at UFC 247 at the start of the year. Her only two losses inside the Octagon have cmme against Amanda Nunes. ‘The Bullet’ was expected to defend her title against Joanne Calderwood this summer, but was forced out due to knee surgery.
Instead of waiting for Shevchenko to return, Calderwood took a fight against Maia last weekend at UFC Vegas 5 but was submitted in the first round. The Brazilian now gets the opportunity to challenge for the title.
Ray Borg Released By The UFC
Sticking with the flyweights, Ray Borg, who challenged Demetrious Johnson for the 125lbs title at UFC 216 three years ago, has been released by the promotion. ‘The Tazmexican Devil’ has struggled to make the walk to the Octagon in recent years, pulling out of several fights due to personal reasons, injuries and several weight cutting issues. The 27 year old was scheduled to fight Nathan Maness last weekend but was removed from the card ahead of the weigh-ins for undisclosed reasons.
Corey Anderson Signs With Bellator
Despite having multiple fights left on his UFC contract, Corey Anderson has been released by the promotion and announced his signing with Bellator MMA. In spite of coming off a loss to Jan Blachowicz via knockout earlier this year at UFC Rio Rancho, ‘Overtime’ is regarded as one of the best light heavyweights on the planet.
Kevin Lee Has More Bad Luck
Kevin Lee has taken to social media to reveal that he has torn his right ACL, while recovering from surgery on his left ACL earlier this year.
“I hurt it while trying to recover from this one. But honestly, I’m not that discouraged about it. I feel like I’ve been on this path for a long ass time, like last ten years, and I’ve seen a lot of this s*** happening. I didn’t know I was going to have it, but I knew for sure it was going to happen. I guess God wants me to have two strong knees, so when I come back, I’m going to f*** somebody up.”
Other UFC News:
- Jim Miller vs Vinc Pichel has been added to next weekend’s UFC 252 card.
- Marc Goddard will referee the Stipe Miocic vs Daniel Cormier trilogy heavyweight title fight in the UFC 252 main event.
- A lightweight contest between Austin Hubbard and Joe Solecki has been added to the UFC’s August 22nd card.
- A lightweight clash between Thiago Moises and Jalin Turner is being targeted for the UFC’s September 5th card.
- Billy Quarantillo and Kyle Nelson are set to face off on September 12th.
- A lightweight matchup between Frank Camacho and Brok Weaver has also been added to the September 12th card.
- A featherweight clash between Mirsad Bektic and Eduardo Garagorri has been added to the UFC’s September 26th card.
- A top five bantamweight clash between Marlon Moraes and Cory Sandhagen is in the works for the UFC’s October 10th card.
UFC Vegas 6 goes down this weekend. Ahead of the night, two fighters missed weight.
Official weigh-in results for UFC Vegas 6:
Derrick Lewis (265) vs. Aleksei Oleinik (227)
Chris Weidman (186) vs. Omari Akhmedov (185.75)
Darren Stewart (186) vs. Maki Pitolo (186)
Yana Kunitskaya (135.5) vs. Julija Stoliarenko (136)
Beneil Dariush (158) vs. Scott Holtzman (156)
* Dariush will forfeit 20% of his purse to Holtzman after missing weight by 2lbs
Tim Means (171) vs. Laureano Staropoli (174.5)
* Means missed weight on the first attempt. Staropoli will forfeit 20% of his purse to Means after missing weight by 3.5lbs.
Kevin Holland (183.5) vs. Joaquin Buckley (185)
Nasrat Haqparast (156) vs. Alex Munoz (156)
Andrew Sanchez (185.5) vs. Wellington Turman (185.5)
Gavin Tucker (146) vs. Justin Jaynes (146)
Youssef Zalal (146) vs. Peter Barrett (145.5)
Irwin Rivera (136) vs. Ali AlQaisi (136)